EKSG Budgets N6m for Sporting Equipment, Sports Devt

 

 

*** Canvasses Collective Anti- FGM Fight

 

 

 

By RAZAQ BAMIDELE
 

 

A budgetary allocation of ten million naira (#10,000,000) has been approved for various activities of Ekiti State Sports Council in the 2019 appropriation Act recently signed by the governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi.
The Commissioner for Finance and Economic Development, Hon. Dapo Kolawole made this disclosure while presenting to stakeholders and the general public detailed analysis of the 2019 budget in Ado-Ekiti recently.

Hon. Kolawole, who explained that a sum of #4million, representing 40% of the total sum earmarked for the Agency would be used to purchase office equipment, while the remaining #6million balance, representing 60% was budgeted for grassroots sports development and procurement of sporting equipment.
While commenting on the budgetary allocation to the Agency, the General Manager, Ekiti State Sports Council, Mr. Ayodeji Samo said the allocation would not only go a long way to encourage grassroots sports development but equally assist to discover hidden talents in the
state.
Ayodeji Samo, who also said the gesture would not only reactivate the mental alertness of the youths, but would also boost the people’s socioeconomic potentials.
The General Manager remarked that the budgetary allocation to the Agency by the Fayemi-led administration has greatly raised the hope of stakeholders that sporting activities in the state will be more boisterous this year as there will be increase in the participation of Ekiti state contingents in both national and international sporting competitions thereby exposing the state athletes to wider and better opportunities that would assist the State in winning more laurels.

 

 

In another development, the State Government has also urged its citizens and residents to be united and cooperate with it in the war it is waging against Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) scourge in the society.
The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development, Mrs Foluke Adeyemo, who  gave the charge in Ado-Ekiti during a sensitization walk to commemorate the International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation described the harmful
traditional practice as barbaric. She called for complete eradication of the harmful practice because of numerous dangers associated with it.
Adeyemo, who lauded the efforts of government, particularly the logistics so far put in place to eradicate the evil practice listed the areas of government concentration to include awareness, sensitization, Girl-child education, and community-Led actions enlightenment programmes, amongst others.
In her own remarks, Mrs Tayo Olatilu, a member of the State Technical Committee (STC) representing the Ministry of Women Affairs explained that the Committee, set up primarily to eradicate Female Genital Mutilation in Ekiti State comprises  representatives/stakeholders from Ministries of Justice, Women Affairs, Health & Education, Science and Technology, Police Force, National Orientation Agency (NOA), Federation of Female Lawyers (FIDA), National Council of Women Society (NCWS), Nigerian Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ) and some
other NGOs.
Mrs Olatilu described FGM as the direct cutting of genitalia (clitories) for no medical reasons except for traditional beliefs and culture.
Olatilu, who disclosed that about 200million African, Asian and Nigerian living girls and women have had their clitoris cut named Nigeria as a country having the largest number of FGM worldwide.
The Ekiti State Ministry of Women Affairs representative also mentioned promoters of this harmful traditional practice to include mothers, mothers-in-law, grandmothers, opinion leaders and men. She listed the FGM practitioners to include traditional/local, health
professionals and midwives.
Mrs. Olatilu, therefore encouraged citizens to key in and embrace zero tolerance to FGM in the society by propagating the message to make it a thing of the past like the killing of twins of old.
Also speaking, another STC member, Mrs Kemi Adeleye, a representative of the State Ministry of Health listed some of the numerous dangers of FGM to include over bleeding, severe pains, infertility, prolonged labour, urinary retention, keloid, frigidity amongst others.
Female Genital Mutilation, also known as female genital cutting and female circumcision is the ritual cutting or removal of some or all of the external female genitalia is recognized internationally as a violation of the human rights of girls and women. It is mostly
carried out on young girls between infancy and age 15.

 

Please follow and like us:





Comments are Closed

Enjoy this The Parroters Media? Please spread the good news:)